Tuesday, June 9, 2015

My First Day: In Two Parts

So my first official day here in Granada, Spain I am going to have to break it up into two parts: Part one will be before my siesta (basically a mandatory nap time where literally EVERYTHING closes so people can sleep) and part two will be after I wake up.  This is because each part felt like a full day in and of itself

Part 1
So I was supposed to wake up around 7 so that I could have plenty of time to be ready but anyone who knows me knows that, that didn't happen.  So around 8 o'clock I half jumped half dragged myself out of bed got dressed, painted my face and went to the kitchen. There Eva was waiting for me looking perfect in her pristine kitchen with a glorious cup of coffee waiting for me on the counter.  It was just the shock that my system needed to function and be ready for my first day.

Eva walked me to the meeting spot in the middle of the city, after we met up with Lina and Anna seeing as they live so close to us.  On the way their we saw some beautiful street art, as well as some regular tags.


               

The morning was cool and brisk, the air held no hint of the heat wave that was to come later on in the day and into the night. Soon enough we got the the CEA meeting place at the Post Office where all the other students in my program and their host mamas were talking and waiting for the coordinator.  Eventually it was time to go, and like the adult version of follow the leader we left for the main building and our orientation into the program.

Here we learned how our different classes will work: for example, I am in the internship program and classes which means I will have one class in the main building and I will be working in a school (or colegio) helping with the student's English classes.  Other students will be taking specific classes depending on which program they applied to similarly (only solely in the main building).

We also went over the cultural do's and don'ts of Spain such as appropriate attire (no short shorts) and mannerisms (yawning is very disrespectful especially in a classroom setting).  No one eats on the go, nor do they drink their coffee anywhere but in a seat at a table (and no eating or drinking in the classroom).  Here food is something to enjoy and take your time with, not simply sustenance for the day.  This plays a big part in the laid back mindset of Spain and the Spanish, life is not to be rushed but enjoyed one moment at a time.

Though this may be true in general, from my own observations when the people here are on their way somewhere they do not simply stroll down the streets or cruise in their car.  Then (and maybe it is only when they are going somewhere) one does not want to get in the way of anyone or thing.  Pedestrians do not have the right of way here so always always look before crossing any street. Watch out for bicycles (they will be on the side walks) and the mopeds and motorcycles because they zip in and out of everything and everyone, and they don't care if you didn't see them coming.  At first it all seems like a lot but after a few days of caution and a watchful eye, the patterns of the streets emerge and you can find your way without fearing for your life.

After our orientation it was back to the house (or casa) and I am proud to say that Anna and I found our way back with only some slight confusion. After a delicious Spanish lunch (which is huge by the way, it is their biggest meal of the day) and a small two hour nap I was ready to begin the second part of my day...

Part 2

Again we meet at the post office to begin our walking tour of this beautiful city.  It only took about two and a half hours to walk the majority of the city (not included the oldest part which is further up in the mountains).  Here the main purpose was to help the students have a small mental map of the city to help when going out or simply exploring and walking around.  Below I have some pictures of the city from the tour...






 

One of the many beautiful churches in Granada (edited by Google) pictured below. Above is right in front of the church.

 

   

This was not a statue but a person posed as one, he scared quite a few people when he moved.  We are not sure how he was able to stay like that, levitating almost but it was great to see!


From one spot in Granada we were able to see the mountain part of the city, mostly residential but it was an amazing view, more beautiful than I was able to capture with the camera on my phone.




 Some new friends and I on our tour around town

And here is a group shot at the end of our walking tour. Photo credit goes to Jasmine Fanning and her amazing selfie stick!



Though he was not on the tour this man was beat boxing through his (I think it is Australian) horn on a corner as I was walking home.  It was amazing and if I could have gotten a decent audio on my recording I would have shared that with you all as well.  Just one of the strange (yet great) scenes to be seen in this crazy, wonderful city.

Thank you for joining me on another adventure and until next time!

!Salud!
Little Red


P.S. all pictures were taken and edited by me unless otherwise stated



1 comment:

  1. Been a little busy hmmmm? ;-) looks like an amazing adventure.

    ReplyDelete