Wednesday, June 3, 2015

My First Big Flight

Hola!
So before this flight the only time I was ever even on a plane (that I can remember) was my trip to Disney world back in 2000 (crazy I know).  So this was a real experience for me.  Luckily I had my amazing family and friends to help me out, and a special shout out to my wonderful friend Em who not only drove an hour to see me before I left for Spain but also came with my family and me to the airport to see me off (and help me through the new customs).


Though everyone says (or at least has said to me) that packing is a nightmare between my mom and I it was actually pretty easy. We took a day to figure out what I needed for the trip, what I already had, and what we needed to buy.  The next day we packed and weighed my suitcase to make sure it was all under the weight limit for the different airplanes.  Seeing as I flew international I used two different services which had slightly different rules for baggage. If you ever do fly with multiple planes make sure to double check the limits and allowances when it comes to baggage, you don't want to be held up for something so silly.  I am happy to report that all of my things got to Granada with me safe and sound :)

My flight from Philly to Madrid was an overnight one, though sleeping on it was no easy feat. However thanks to a certain motion sickness pill and an allergy pill (because I am allergic to weird things) I was able to sleep for a few hours which helped a lot with jet lag.  I highly recommend the same for anyone is traveling over night, especially since there may be some unhappy babies on board (I had about four of them).  But the plane food wasn't that bad either, we got dinner and breakfast, along with a little blanket and pillow for the flight.  Below is what my dinner looked like, pasta in a pesto sauce, I promise it tasted better than it looks (though in all honesty I didn't actually finish it haha)...

Eventually we landed in Madrid and that is where the real confusion commenced.  I thought that the Philly airport was huge, but I needed to take a shuttle to get from one end of the Madrid airport to the other! At least I had two and a half hours to figure it all out thank goodness.  Not to mention there were some very sweet people that I had the pleasure to meet, but I shall talk about them in a different post so as not to overwhelm everyone like I was :)  This maze of a mini city had anything you could ever want, food, shopping, mini gardens, but all I wanted was to find my spot outside my airplane...oh! and to change and find some water, I was parched and grimy after that first trip.  So my first purchase with Euros was water of course......and some cute earrings haha!


While waiting for the plane I realized that, well that there was none and yet they were still calling us to board! Well that is because our plane was too small for the port, we had to get on a bus to drive out into the middle of the airplane parking lot (for lack of a better term) to board. BUT I did get a window seat and this amazing picture of Spain as we flew to Granada.  



And as a proud literature nerd, how else would you expect me to spend my time waiting besides with reading (in between enjoying my gorgeous view and taking pictures to share with you lovely people!)


Luckily I landed safely and the lovely people of CEA were right there waiting for me and my fellow students in bright colors with big signs.  The Granada airport is a small local one so it was pretty easy to find everyone.  We drove another bus back to where we were to meet our lovely host "mamas" as they were called.

But for now that is all!

Until next time,
Little Red <3


No comments:

Post a Comment