Friday, June 26, 2015

Extended Weekend: Corpus Cristi

Hello All!!

So I had my first class, which than had to get changed because it was the wrong class and my internship was supposed to start this week (The week of June 1st mind you, its been pretty crazy).  However I had gotten very sick Tuesday to Thursday, meaning I missed two days of school and my internship.  Apparently it is very common virus for Spain in the spring time.  However a quick trip to the doctors, a shot, and a bunch of medicine (and I thought Americans loved their medications...sheesh!) I was all but perfect come Saturday.  Thank goodness too seeing as this was the extended Weekend festival for Corpus Cristi (which is why I only missed two days of school).

Though this is a religious holiday it is treated as a big party here in Spain.  My host mom Eva was surprised to here that we did not celebrate anything like this in the States, seeing as it is a religious holiday not a national one.  However, everyone is welcome and encouraged to celebrate at "la feria" which was a huge fair (very similar to the ones back home) for the extended weekend.

So when I finally felt better (and it felt like a miracle when I finally did) some of my friends took me to la feria so I could experience some of the craziness.  We did not stay for all of it seeing as the parties in Spain don't really start until 2 in the morning and that is past my bedtime, and honestly I was not up for any type of craziness anyway.

Here I am ready to go!


All of Granada got in on the Spirit of it with the streets light up in colors and decorations such as the one pictured below.


One of the crazy rides my friends went on. Eventually I went on some too but I was content holding the bags for this one, no need to re-upset my tummy!


Here we can see some of the traditional dresses here in Spain. Many women and little girls were dressed up in similar attires, it was fun to see them all.


A little video of all the different things at la feria (I hope it works once this is published... :O )



For my final picture of la feria here is me and my beautiful friend Elyssia who waited with me while the other two went on all those crazy rides, she is pretty awesome!




The next day we decided to relax on the beautiful beach of Nerja (pronounced nair-ha) in Malaga. It is about two hours away from Granada but it was easy enough to sleep the time away.  Plus we were the last stop so we didn't have to worry too much about sleeping through our stop.

Below are some views from the bus of the beauty that is Spain as we drove through a small portion of it:


I loved being able to see the mountains wherever we went! They are amazing and made everything feel so connected and stable to me. They were a constant even though I felt like every day things were changing, so of course I had to get a few more pictures of them.




Above we can see a city of white tucked away in the mountains down this street, and below that same city up close. It was crazy, I have never seen a city like that: so beautiful.


Now, what you have all been waiting for, the pictures of this beautiful beach! Nerja is actually a small town made up of one huge beach, one medium, and about five small beaches such as the one pictured below.  One of the reasons we made the almost two hour ride to Nerja instead of a closer beach is because of this, how the mountains surround it making for an amazing view in every direction.  It was an amazing sight to see, not to mention the water was so clear you could still see your feet with water up to your chest. It is a memory I will cherish for the rest of my life, floating out in the beautiful ocean look back to the mountains right there, such an amazing sight.  




It was a beautiful and relaxing day, well worth the bus trip.  When it came to an end, as all things do, I found myself waiting for my bus at this little bus stop food spot. It made me think of the ones you would see on TV when someone was trying to leave a quiet little town for the big city. It was a little surreal to me but funny all the same. 


It even had a mini soda and arcade game spot, as simple as it may seem to some of you it was all pretty new to me, so of course I had to document and share it with you all!


As we finally climbed back on the bus for our long trek back home I was able to score the last seat and get this beautiful view as we left the city and beach. Despite getting over being sick it was an amazing and wonderful second weekend here in Spain.


I hope everyone is having a wonderful summer so far and is enjoying taking this journey with me. Thank you all for reading! 

Until next time!

~Little Red

No comments:

Post a Comment